It has Sense and Sensibility, Pride and Prejudice, Mansfield Park, Emma, Northanger Abbey, and Persuasion. It was published in 1938 and is in great condition! Then later on that day while we were processing the nopales I found this one:
That is not what a heart really looks like but I thought it was different! We processed 14 quarts of nopalitos and pickled 5 quarts. I got the last tiny spine out of my thumb yesterday! I think it was from the laundry I hand washed that had the spines in them. I learned how well duct tape works at removing the tiny spines. Wow, another use for duct tape!
Last week, I was looking through a magazine and came across this set of rules for teachers from the 1800's:
2. You are not to keep company with men.
3. You must be at home between the hours of 8pm and 6am unless attending school functions.
4. You must not loiter down town in any of the ice cream stores.
5. You may not travel beyond the city limits unless you have permission from the chairman of the board.
6. You may not ride in a carriage or automobile with any man unless he is your father or brother.
7. You may not smoke cigarettes.
8. You may not dress in bright colors.
9. You must wear at least two petticoats.
10. Dresses must not be more than 2 inches above the ankle.
11. To keep the school neat and clean, you must sweep the floor at least once daily; scrub the floor at least once a week with hot soapy water; clean the blackboards at least once a day; and start fire at 7am so the room will be warm by 8am.
We have come a long way since then, sadly enough. Now parents are just happy to have other people teach their children as long as the teacher is not arrested for drugs or some other illegal activity. They turn over their parental rights to the government. Now look where we are, metal detectors in the schools and school shootings are still a common occurrence. Not to mention what these public schools get to teach children today. I praise the Lord that He turned the path of of my life towards Him and away from the world and its Antichrist systems. What a gift!!
Now I take pleasure in simpler things like a loaf of bread that turns out nicely:
Or some nice homemade garlic rolls:
Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new. 2 Corinthians 5:17